Life of Scott

Imagination unleashed.

Friday, January 05, 2007

On Turning 25

On January 12, 2007, I will turn 25. I am not particulary upset about this -- I still have more fun as an adult than I had as a child. Children are not allowed to do lots of things: drinking, sex, weeknight sleepovers, driving to Canada, vacationing with friends. As an adult, I can do whatever I want as long as I can get away from work.

I am, however, reflective. I want a moment of silence for my carefree, invincible youth. Gone are the days of racing down the highway at ridiculously illegal speeds, staying up all night drinking, getting a breakfast sandwich from Brueggers before heading to bed, cutting class on a cold morning, unplanned road trips, riding through a tropical storm on the motorcycles, running out of gas in New Mexico, and peeing in parking lots.

(silence)

I have decided that drinking and driving is no good. Drinking to get drunk is no good. I started a diet/exercise regimen to get rid of my increasingly soft middle, and I have begun saving for a house. I even have a 401(k) account.

(wipe a tear from my cheek)

I don't know if these changes are because I am getting older, wiser, or more mature. Maybe I've just done enough of all the boneheaded things. Maybe it's because of Emily -- lots of people tend to calm down when they finally meet someone worthwhile. In any case, these changes are not unwelcome.

Having said all this, I am not succumbing to a life of tedium and lameness. We are still going to Niagara Falls to party next weekend and a cruise in another month. Two motorcycle trips are in the works for the warm season. Everything is just more comfortable, less crazy, and better planned.

Rest in peace, my youth. I'll remember you fondly.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bindel, this blog is so boring... I'd rather listen to Ed in a staff infection.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home