Life of Scott

Imagination unleashed.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Goodnight Phone Calls

I'm sure most couples do the nighttime phone call where she calls to give the blow-by-blow description of her day when I am unfortunate enough to be apart from her for more than the duraction of a bathroom trip. Something like this:

Emily: I talked to Bridget today. She and Adam broke up and she will be coming home for a while. I also went running today because it wasn't very cold. Did you work out today?
Scott: Not really. I worked late.
Emily: Then I had a turkey sandwich for lunch but I was all out of mustard, so I had to use salt and pepper.
Scott: mmm-hmm.
Emily: qiqewtijk3 i234m m wkekao dsad, adjhjm . pp[.
Scott: mm-hmm.
Emily: 3jd9oikk fnd i l,g,oppp-09 ik ,./ asdjhh imrnjffil fdkde lel
Scott: ahh. mm-hmm.
Emily: ARE YOU BRUSHING YOUR TEETH?!

But God forbid we talk about something we don't agree on, like why I don't want to spend the weekend at her place. The reasons are so obvious to me: little TV, no stereo speakers (we have to listen to DVD's though the single distorted speaker in the baby TV), she refuses to turn the heat on (or air conditioning in the summer), all the food is low fat, and they have a grand total of four plates.

We go back and forth a few times, neither one of us really listening to the other, and then I am tired and want to get off the phone. Ready for bed, I naturally say:
Scott: Well, that's enough for me. Goodnight Emmy, I love you.
Emily:
Scott: Does this mean I can't go to sleep yet?
Emily:
Scott: It's not really--
Emily: I HATE GETTING OFF THE PHONE LIKE THIS!

I'm sure you notice the two opportunities she had to raise any sort of point. But she waits to speak until she can interrupt me. Ten minutes and two neutral topics later, I can get off the phone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home